ANNUAL VEGETABLE, FLOWER & HANDICRAFT SHOW 2014
(part of Warleggan Parish’s “BIG DO IN THE FIELD”)
SATURDAY 26 July 2014
All entries to be in the Hall either Friday evening between 6-7pm
OR Saturday before 10.00am PROMPT—PLEASE
(Hall opens to general public at 1pm following judging)
1. Presentation of 3 different seasonal vegetables 24” x 18” space
2. 4 Potatoes
3. 5 Carrots (with foliage)
4. 6 Shallots
5. 3 Onions
6. 6 Pods of Peas
7. 6 Runner Beans OR 8 French Beans OR 6 Broad Beans
8. 3 Root Vegetables (other than carrots)
9. Unusual shaped vegetable
10. 3 Courgettes
11. Plate of Soft Fruit (12 berries of same variety)
12. 3 medium / large Tomatoes OR 6 Cherry tomatoes
13 3 Sticks Rhubarb (leaves removed)
14. Flowering pot plant ) NOT PREVIOUSLY
15. Non-flowering pot plant ) EXHIBITED AT THIS SHOW
16. 3 Roses (can be more than one variety)
17. Single Hydrangea head
18. Vase of annuals
19. Vase of herbaceous perennials
20. Vase of attractive foliage
21. 3 Dahlias
22. 12 Sweet Peas
COOKERY & PRESERVES
23. SET RECIPE—CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
175g (6oz) unsalted butter / 150g (5oz) dark chocolate
chopped— Melt together in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering
water (make sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch water).
When melted set aside and cool for 20 mins.
3 medium eggs / 300g (11 oz) caster sugar / 75g (3oz) plain
flour / 40g (1 ½oz) cocoa powder / Icing sugar to dust.
Preheat oven to 180oC (160oV fan) mark 4. Lightly grease and line
a 20.5cm (8”) square tin with baking parchment. Using a
handheld electric whisk, beat eggs and sugar together in a large
bowl until thick and moussey—about 5min.
Add the melted and cooled chocolate mixture to the bowl and fold
together with a large metal spoon. Sift over the flour and cocoa
powder and a pinch of salt and fold together.
Scrape mixture into tin, level and bake for 30min or until there is
no wobble left when you gently shake the tin. Cool completely in
the tin before dusting with icing sugar and cutting into squares.
24. Individual dessert
25. Apple Tart not to exceed 8” (20.5cm) diameter
26. Jar of sweet preserve—any variety
27. Jar or savoury preserve—any variety
28. Jar of jelly—any variety
PHOTOGRAPHY—THE SEASONS the winners’ photographs, with their
permission, may be used in a 2015 Parish Calendar
FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT ALL PHOTOGRAPHS
ARE MOUNTED ON CARD PLUS YOUR NAME ON REVERSE.
PHOTOGRAPHS MUST HAVE BEEN TAKEN BY THE EXHIBITOR
33. Pencil sketch
35. Oils / acrylic
HANDICRAFT—NOT TO HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY EXHIBITED AT
THIS SHOW / TO HAVE BEEN LAUNDERED / & MUST BE THE
WORK OF THE EXHIBITOR
36. Item of fabric based craft
37. Item of non-fabric based craft
38. Any knitted item
39. An A4 poster advertising a local event (factual or fiction) computer
generated or hand made
40. A Limerick with a local theme (on A5 paper / card)
CHILDREN’S CLASSES—please state age on entry form (as revised 23 June)
Under 7 years old:
41. Plasticine model
42. Coloured in page from a colouring book A4 size
7 to 10 years old:
43. Handwriting – four or eight lines of any poem or rhyme, may be decorated – max size A4
44. Decorated pebble / stone or egg
11 to 15 years:
45. Design a cover for the 2015 Parish Calendar (Landscape & to include “2015” and Calendar”)
46. Lego model
PLEASE RETURN ENTRY FORMS TO BOX IN HENRY & BRENDA JORY’S
PORCH OR TO LYNDA SMALL, SHALOM, MOUNT OR GILL KEAST,
CHYKEST, WARLEGGAN. ANY QUERIES Gill 01208 821494
1. All entries must be made or grown by the competitor.
2. Entry fee of 50p / adult entry.
3. Competitors can make a maximum of three entries / class.
4. Competitors to provide own props/vases, etc.
5. The Committee accepts no responsibility for loss or damage.
6. Judges’ decisions are final.
7. Pot plants must have been owned by competitor for at least two months.
8. ALL ENTRIES TO THE HALL ON FRIDAY 25TH BETWEEN 6PM—7PM OR ON THE DAY OF THE SHOW BEFORE 10.00AM. Doors will be closed for judging at 10.00am PROMPT.