The History Group meets once a month, usually the fourth Wednesday of month, either out on a field visit (times vary) or at the Jubilee Hall, Mount (7.30 pm).
Membership is £5 a year (couples £8); non-members are welcome to attend any meeting for £1.
Latest information can be found on this page; or call Gill on 01208 821494
WEDNESDAY 26th SEPTEMBER
7.30 pm – Jubilee Hall
“Churchill’s Secret Army”
– an illustrated talk by Adrian Wilton. A true account of intrigue and total secrecy here in East Cornwall. Charged with the nation’s security, those involved never divulged their responsibilities to even the closest family; now the 50-year rule allows us to hear about their vital role.
Calendar of meetings 2018
MEMBERS & NON-MEMBERS WELCOME TO ALL MEETINGS
MONDAY 1st JANUARY – 11 am
New Year’s Day Walk
WEDNESDAY 28th FEBRUARY – NO MEETING (the pharmacy talk is postponed to 25 July – see below)
WEDNESDAY 28th MARCH – 7.30 pm – Jubilee Hall
“The Blighs of Cornwall – much more than a Mutiny” – Angela Aylward
WEDNESDAY 25th APRIL – 7.30 pm
“Georgian & Victorian Vandalism of our Churches” – Joanna Mattingley a recognised authority on Cornish history. Meeting to be held at Warleggan Church
WEDNESDAY 23rd MAY – 7.00 pm
Trecarrel, Lezant, Launceston – fascinating Grade 1 listed Mediaeval Hall and Chapel not normally open to the public – hosted by Neil & Ruth Burden
WEDNESDAY 27th JUNE – 7.00 pm
Bodmin Nursery, Laveddon – the history of Laveddon Mill and the Nursery – Linda & Mark Lawlor
WEDNESDAY 25th JULY – 7.30 pm – Jubilee Hall
“Pharmacy in the Past” – the intriguing history of the chemist’s shop by a retired pharmacist – Kitty Chanter-Menendez
WEDNESDAY 26th SEPTEMBER – 7.30 pm – Jubilee Hall
“Churchill’s Secret Army” – an illustrated talk by Adrian Wilton. A true account of intrigue and total secrecy here in East Cornwall. Charged with the nation’s security, those involved never divulged their responsibilities to even the closest family; now the 50-year rule allows us to hear about their vital role.
WEDNESDAY 24th OCTOBER – 7.30 pm – Jubilee Hall
“The Witch in the Landscape: An investigation of witchcraft related sites from ancient times to the present day” – Dr Peter Scott, Curator of Museum of Witchcraft & Magic at Boscastle
WEDNESDAY 28th NOVEMBER – 7.30 pm – Jubilee Hall
“Curious Corners of Cornwall” – an illustrated presentation by Valerie & Brian Jacob
MEMBERS AND NON-MEMBERS WELCOME TO ALL MEETING
APART FROM APRIL/MAY/JUNE/JULY, ALL MEETINGS ARE AT THE JUBILEE HALL, MOUNT – directions
About the Club
Everyone is welcome, members or non-members. Meetings are held monthly, and while some are held at the village hall, others are ‘on site’. You can get an idea of the kind of activities and presentations by looking at the ‘past events’ listing below…
MONDAY 2ND JANUARY – 11 am – New Year’s Day Walk
WEDNESDAY 22ND FEBRUARY – 7.30 pm – “Wrecks, Raids & Ambuscades” – stories from some of the more intriguing episodes mentioned in South-East Cornwall records from his recently published book – Carrick White
WEDNESDAY 22ND MARCH – 7.30 pm – “The Memories and Sketches of a 20thCentury Caradon Miner” – Brian Oldham
WEDNESDAY 26TH APRIL – 7.30 pm – “Trelawne and the Trelawney Family” – Carole Vivian
WEDNESDAY 24TH MAY – 6.30 pm – Great Hammett, St Neot – visit this ancient farmstead and almost complete Bronze Age hut – hosted by David & Ruth Wherry
WEDNESDAY 28TH JUNE – 7.00 pm – Guided tour of Trelawne Barton, Looe PL13 2NA – hosted by Carole Vivian
WEDNESDAY 26TH JULY – 7.00 pm – Guided tour of St Austell. Meet at the Museum, Market House, St Austell (opposite the Church) hosted by Valerie Jacobs
WEDNESDAY 27TH SEPTEMBER – 7.30 pm – “Country Houses of Cornwall” – an illustrated presentation by Paul Holden of National Trust
WEDNESDAY 25TH OCTOBER – 7.30 pm – “The History of Wrought Iron” – Bob Hill
WEDNESDAY 22ND NOVEMBER – 7.30 pm – “Who Do You Think You Are?” Hints on tracing your family through the centuries particularly looking at local records but with the ability to search web-sites for your ancestors – John Keast
WEDNESDAY 23rd NOVEMBER – 7.30 p.m. “The Building Stone, Rocks & Minerals of Southern Bodmin Moor” – Martin Eddy, geologist
WEDNESDAY 26th OCTOBER – 7.30 p.m. “Sir Goldsworthy Gurney” – an illustrated presentation on this great Cornish inventor by Duncan Paul Matthews
WEDNESDAY 28th SEPTEMBER – 7.30 p.m. “Royal Cornwall Show” – Chris Riddle, the Show Secretary
WEDNESDAY 27th JULY – Recording and plotting the graves in the Old Churchyard at
WEDNESDAY 22nd JUNE – 6.30 pm – Guided Tour of Wesley Cottage & Altarnun Village, with Altarnun Local History Society
WEDNESDAY 25th MAY – 6.30 p.m. “Guided Tour of Liskeard” – Duncan Paul Matthews, local historian
WEDNESDAY 27th APRIL – 7.30 p.m. “Daphne du Maurier” – Lynn Goold, Fowey
WEDNESDAY 23rd MARCH – 7.30 p.m. “Mines & Miners of Caradon Hill” – Iain Rowe, County Records Office
SATURDAY 23 JANUARY – 11.00 a.m. New Year’s Day Walk – 2½ hour stroll
- Wed 25 Nov: Illustrated “Cornish Miscellany” – with John Keast
- Wed 28 Oct: “The Rise & Fall of Methodism in Cornwall” – illustrated talk by David Thomas of Cornwall Records Office
- Wed 23 Sept: Guided tour of Looe with Mark Camp
- Wed 22 July: Guided tour of Truro with Viv Robinson
- Wednesday 24th June, CabillA & REDRICE WOODS – A guided walk with Peter Kent of Cornwall Wildlife Trust
- Wed 27 May: Guided tour of Launceston with John Ellacott
- Wed 22 April, 7.30pm: “In Search of the Smugglers” – illustrated talk by Cornish Bard Carole Vivian
- Wed 25 March, 7.30pm : ‘The Life and Murder of Charlotte Dymond’ with Chris and Jill Batters
- Film Evening, Wednesday 25 February 2015 – a private showing of a film of considerable local interest
- Thurs 1 Jan: New Year’s Day Walk – New Year’s walk and late lunch – meet Pantersbridge 11am sharp; bring wellies ……
- Wed 3 Dec, 7.30 pm, Jubilee Hall – Professor Harry Bennett, Naval Historian at the University of Plymouth, will be talking about “Cornwall and the Battle of the Atlantic: The Loss of U-564, 14 June 1943”.
- Wed 29th October, Jubilee Hall, 7.30pm – Dr Garry Tregigda, Assistant Director of the Institute of Cornish Studies, will be talking about the Cornwall Audio Visual Archive and related items of interest.
- Wed 17th September: a guided walk around the village of St Cleer with Derris Watson –
Wednesday 23rd July, 7.00 p.m. – FOWEY – Sally & Ros will take us on a guided tour through Fowey with its rich maritime history.
- Wednesday 25th June, 7.00 p.m. – LOSTWITHIEL – Mary Jones will take us on a tour of this ancient capital of the Duchy. Meet in the Main Car Park by the Community Centre and Fire Station (free parking).
- Wed 28 May 2014, 7.30pm, Jubilee Hall: Cornish Music – with Jill Thomas from the St Neot Historians
- Wed 23 April 2014, Jubilee Hall, 7.30pm: “Remembering the men of the Parish who served in the First World War”
- Wed 26 March 2014, Jubilee Hall, 7.30pm: History Group AGM; followed by “Stop the Rot” with Lynda Small.
- Thurs 2 Jan 2014: New Year walk – followed by a light (late) lunch (soup and roll) in Hall – see photos
- 27 Nov: Visit to St Neot, to look at their newly opened Archive Room and the facilities available at Cott Yard.
- 23 Oct: Rob Evans talk about the St Austell / Pentewan mineral railway the “Tea Treat Trains”.
25 Sept: Walk to Jubilee Rock, Blisland, plus visit to the Church
- 12 July: Life in the Falkland Islands – Susie Hansen gives her inside view on life on the Falklands
- 1 July: joining St Neot Historians on a walk to Trengoffe near Pantersbridge, for a talk about the architecture of the existing barns on this very old historic manor house site – see photos from the visit
- 22 May: A guided walk around the village and old port of Pentewan. Our guide for the evening is Rob Evans who lives in the village – see photos from the walk
- 4 April: A look at the history of the Luxulyan Valley, with Mrs Harradance, from ‘Friends of Luxulyan’ – remember the New Years Day Walk at Luxulyan (see report and photos)
- 27 March: The Robartes Family & Lanhydrock ~ 1614 – 1974 ~ The Rise & Decline of a Cornish Family & its Estate, presentation by John K.
- 27 Feb: The Manor Mill of Warleggan, presentation by Lynda S.
- 1 Jan: History Club’s New Year Day Walk – Luxulyan Valley – see report and photos
28 Nov: “Then and Now”, with Brian Williams from St Neot Historians, with particular emphasis on St Neot.
- 24 Oct: Following on from visit to Wheal Martyn Museum, a film on the China Clay industry
- 26 Sept: The History of the Houses and People of Mount Village – an evening of information and discussion on the houses (old and new) in Mount Village and their occupants over the centuries. All welcome to hear the history of your home including any contributions you may be able to make with stories or photographs. If you have old stories, photos, deeds, leases etc. that relate to the history of the houses and people of Mount Village, please bring them along!
- 4 July: a visit to the Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum at Trethowel, St Austell, PL26 8XG – 6.00pm start @ £5 / head. We are having a guided tour so please be there to start at 6.00. Tea / coffee will be served following the tour.
- 30 May: Ladock Church at 6.30pm – A wander around the village of Ladock, with Michael Cole and Remfrey Stephens